Monday, March 16, 2015

Adjective clause pronouns used as the object of a preposition


Example
Explanation
She is the woman.
I told you about her.
            a.       She is the woman about whom I told you.
            b.      She is the woman whom I told you about.
            c.       She is the woman that I told you about.
            d.      She is the woman I told you about.



Formal English: the preposition comes at the beginning of the adjective clause.

The film was enjoyable.
I and my friends watched it last week.
          a.       The film to which I and my friends watched last week was enjoyable.
             b.      The film which I and my friends watched to last week was enjoy.
             c.       The film that I and my friends watched to last week was enjoy.
            d.      The film I and my friends watched last week was enjoyable.



If preposition comes at the beginning of the adjective clause, only whom or which may be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment